Tips for Your First Time Kayaking
Planning your first non-guided outing? Make things easy on yourself:
- Choose a small, calm body of water.Lakes or ponds with little or no powerboat traffic are ideal.
- Find a gently sloping sandy beach to launch. Steep, mucky and rocky shorelines will be more challenging.
- Go on a sunny, windless day.You’ll keep complications low and comfort high.
- If it’s breezy, start out by paddling into the wind.Paddling into a headwind on your way back is a struggle; paddling with a tailwind is, well, a breeze.
- Plan on an outing, not an expedition.For an optimum fun to fatigue ratio, keep your paddling time under two hours.
Riverside Recreation is located in Forest County along the Allegheny River in West Hickory, PA. We have an 8 mile canoe or kayak float on the Allegheny River from Tidioute to West Hickory which will take from 2 to 4 hours to complete. A 10 mile and overnight floats are also available. You will be shuttled up river to Tidioute or other designated boat launches and you will float to West Hickory. This stretch of river is calm with a few ripples, a few deep sections and no white water. It’s a very relaxing and enjoyable trip. Contact us today at 814-463-9235 or visit https://riversiderecpa.com/